Woman’s dedication to east London’s young pays off
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has spent years providing arts opportunities for young people has received an award recognising her work.
Jan Sharkey-Dodds, head of young people’s work at Theatre Royal Stratford East, has been presented with the Jack Petchey Leadership Award in recognition of her dedication to providing first-rate opportunities to young people from across Newham and East London.
She was presented with the award earlier this month by members of Stratford East’s Wingin’ It Youth Group.
The Jack Petchey Leadership Award has been created to allow young people to thank and celebrate the adults who support them. It was established in 1999, The Jack Petchey Foundation gives grants to programmes and projects that benefit young people aged 11-25. It has supported Theatre Royal Stratford East for the past three years.
Jan said: “I am over the moon to have been nominated for this award. The work we do is a partnership between our young people and the committed staff team here. I receive it on behalf of them. Jack Petchey is a respected foundation that is East London in spirit and kindness.”
You may also want to watch:
Dawn Reid, Deputy Artistic Director at the theatre, said: “Jan has worked in the youth arts industry for over twenty seven years and has built up a highly respected career working with young people. Her creative, caring, understanding and accessible open approaches have nurtured many young people into artists and have enabled and equipped them to be future leaders for their peers.”
- 1 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 £10k reward offered one year after fatal stabbing of Stephen Morrisson
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern welcomes back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 Beckton state school outshines top independents in Mandarin competition
- 7 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 8 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 9 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge