Search

Woman rescued from New Year’s Day fire in Forest Gate

PUBLISHED: 11:38 02 January 2013

fire engine

fire engine

sub

Firefighters rescued a woman from a blaze in her flat on New Year’s Day after a candle was left burning.

Two fire engines from Stratford station were called to the first floor flat on Horace Road, Forest Gate, at 12.11am yesterday.

One woman was treated by paramedics for shock and smoke inhalation before she was taken by ambulance to hospital.

Around 10 firefighters tackled the blaze - believed to have been caused by a candle - for approximately half an hour, leaving a small part of the flat damaged.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles can be lovely – especially at this time of year – but it is very important to remember that they are actually naked flames, which can be very dangerous if you’re not careful.

“Don’t leave candles burning overnight and blow out lit candles when you leave the room. Even little tea lights can cause devastating fires.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Newham Recorder