Woman rescued from New Year’s Day fire in Forest Gate
Firefighters rescued a woman from a blaze in her flat on New Year’s Day after a candle was left burning.
Two fire engines from Stratford station were called to the first floor flat on Horace Road, Forest Gate, at 12.11am yesterday.
One woman was treated by paramedics for shock and smoke inhalation before she was taken by ambulance to hospital.
Around 10 firefighters tackled the blaze - believed to have been caused by a candle - for approximately half an hour, leaving a small part of the flat damaged.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles can be lovely – especially at this time of year – but it is very important to remember that they are actually naked flames, which can be very dangerous if you’re not careful.
You may also want to watch:
“Don’t leave candles burning overnight and blow out lit candles when you leave the room. Even little tea lights can cause devastating fires.”
- 1 £10k reward offered one year after fatal stabbing of Stephen Morrisson
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern welcomes back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 Beckton state school outshines top independents in Mandarin competition
- 7 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 8 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 Cyclist casualties on borough's roads rise as more people travel by bike