Woman killed in Forest Gate flat fire
- Credit: Archant
A woman has died following a fire in Forest Gate.
Emergency services were called to a fire at a house converted into two flats on Shrewsbury Road at around 11.30pm last night.
Firefighters found the body of a woman on the ground floor and she was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman and a baby from the ground floor flat and they were taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service suffering smoke inhalation.
The fire mainly affected a flat on the first floor, most of which was destroyed.
A small area of the ground floor entrance hall and part of the staircase from the ground to the first floor were also damaged by fire.
Residents in neighbouring properties were temporarily evacuated due to heavy smoke logging, but have since been allowed to return to their homes.
- 1 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 2 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 3 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 6 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 9 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 10 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
Fire engines from Ilford, Stratford and Plaistow fire stations attended the incident and the fire was under control by around 12.30am.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.