Woman killed in Forest Gate flat fire
- Credit: Archant
A woman has died following a fire in Forest Gate.
Emergency services were called to a fire at a house converted into two flats on Shrewsbury Road at around 11.30pm last night.
Firefighters found the body of a woman on the ground floor and she was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman and a baby from the ground floor flat and they were taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service suffering smoke inhalation.
The fire mainly affected a flat on the first floor, most of which was destroyed.
You may also want to watch:
A small area of the ground floor entrance hall and part of the staircase from the ground to the first floor were also damaged by fire.
Residents in neighbouring properties were temporarily evacuated due to heavy smoke logging, but have since been allowed to return to their homes.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Fire engines from Ilford, Stratford and Plaistow fire stations attended the incident and the fire was under control by around 12.30am.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.