Woman found dead after fire in Romford Road, Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
A woman was found dead by firefighters tackling a blaze in Forest Gate in the early hours of this morning.
Six fire engines with around 35 firefighters attended the fire at Garland House, near the junction of Upton Lane, after the London Fire Brigade were called at 03.37am.
A spokesman for the brigade said: “A body was found by fire crews, the identity has not yet been confirmed.
A further 15 people, including three children, in surrounding flats managed to get out of their flats before we arrived.”
A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said their staff checked over 15 people, none of who were injured.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said “The fire is being treated as suspicious at this early stage, pending examination of the scene.”
Newham Police is investigating while London Fire Brigade investigators are also at the scene. No arrests have been made.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
About 35 people were evacuated from the block as a precaution and many of the homes suffered smoke or water damage, according to the police spokeswoman.
The fire was under control around 5am and the flat was said to be badly damaged.
Fire fighters from Stratford, Bow, Leyton and Leytonstone attended the fire.