Winning Olympic poster displayed in Stratford
A winning poster with an Olympics theme designed by a primary schoolgirl is displayed at Theatre Royal Stratford East.
Maisha Hussain from Upton Cross primary school won the Art Olympics Competition and was welcomed at Nigeria House, Theatre Royal Stratford East.
Her striking poster featuring the Olympic Torch will be on display in the Box Office at Nigeria House until August 12. Maisha also received a winners’ certificate, Nigerian gifts and tickets for this year’s Theatre Royal Stratford East pantomime, Jack & the Beanstalk. The runner up was Jay Kumar Patel, also of Upton Cross Primary School.
The competition for Newham primary schools (open to Years 3-6) was run collaboratively by New World Nigeria and the theatre to encourage local children to interact with and be inspired by Nigerian life and art.
Kerry Michael, Artistic Director at Theatre Royal Stratford East said: “This competition has enabled us to celebrate the excitement of the Olympic, Paralympic Games and our period as Nigeria House with schools in Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
School pupils were asked to design a poster celebrating Nigeria - Newham Together during the 2012 London Games.
Maisha Hussain was presented with her prizes by Ms Evelyn Oputu, Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer – Nigerian Bank of Industry, and Engineer Sani Ndasuna, President of the Nigerian Olympic Committee. She was also hosted by Dawn Reid, Deputy Artistic Director at Theatre Royal Stratford East and Chichi Nwokocha who is one of three young emerging Nigerian producers to be given a paid internship at Nigeria House as part of the artistic collaboration with the theatre.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total