Win tickets to zoo
Three family tickets to be won
COLCHESTER Zoo is one of the finest zoos in Europe, and we are giving away three family tickets.
A host of new animals have arrived in the past few weeks, including three rare bird species – rhinoceros hornbills, Rufous hornbills and Victoria crowned pigeons – new primate species and a pair of sun bears.
There’s also red-backed bearded saki monkeys and a pair of pileated gibbons.
The biggest new arrivals, though, are two sun bears, Srey-Ya and Jo-Jo, which were originally confiscated by government anti-poaching patrols in Cambodia in 2007 and 2008 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
They are the only sun bears in England and are now settling into a temporary enclosure while Colchester Zoo begins a fundraising campaign to build a new purpose built enclosure for them.
At 4ft high, sun – or honey bears as they are also known – are the world’s smallest species of bear and classified as vulnerable in the wild.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
The zoo also has a Worlds Apart walk-through where you can see iguanas, marmosets, tamarins or come face to face with rare tamanduas and sloths!
Don’t miss Playa Patagonia with its 24m tunnel for visitors to view sea lions swimming above their heads, or Spirit of Africa, the Elephant Kingdom and Kingdom of the Wild where you can see zebras, ostriches, rhinos, and giraffes.
* SPECIAL OFFER
The Recorder is offering all readers the chance to visit Colchester Zoo on Saturday, November 14 or Sunday, November 15 for just �5, by cutting out the voucher in this week’s paper. Get your copy, cut out the coupon and take it along with you for your �5 admission.