Win tickets to hear sounds of Glenn Miller
FOR ONE night only to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Blitz, The Nick Ross Orchestra will perform Sounds of the Glenn Miller Era in a concert at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Haymarket, London – and you could be there.
The Recorder is giving away five pairs of tickets to this concert which is on Sunday, October 3 at 5.30pm.
With a full line-up of saxophones, trumpets, trombones, a rhythm section and top singers, The Nick Ross Orchestra will recreate the sounds of Big Bands such as those led by Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey.
There have been times when composers and musicians seemed to be born to the occasion, none more so than Miller, who felt instinctively for the mood of the time, but almost single-handed created the spirit with which the public faced it.
Through such numbers as Moonlight Serenade, In the Mood, and a String of Pearls, memories of Blitz-era London will come flooding back.
You may also want to watch:
The music will span almost all the emotions of those difficult times; comradeship, fear, loss and, most significantly, the hope in love.
The Nick Ross Orchestra uses arrangements exactly as recorded in the Great Swing Era of the 1940s. For more information, visit www.nickrossorchestra.com.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 7 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
For your chance to win one of five pairs of tickets, send your answer to the question below, with your name, address and telephone number to Nick Ross Competition, c/o Maxine Leckerman, Recorder Newspapers Media House, 539 High Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1UD.
Q: What anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Blitz is being marked this year?