Win tickets to hear sounds of Glenn Miller
FOR ONE night only to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Blitz, The Nick Ross Orchestra will perform Sounds of the Glenn Miller Era in a concert at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Haymarket, London – and you could be there.
The Recorder is giving away five pairs of tickets to this concert which is on Sunday, October 3 at 5.30pm.
With a full line-up of saxophones, trumpets, trombones, a rhythm section and top singers, The Nick Ross Orchestra will recreate the sounds of Big Bands such as those led by Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey.
There have been times when composers and musicians seemed to be born to the occasion, none more so than Miller, who felt instinctively for the mood of the time, but almost single-handed created the spirit with which the public faced it.
Through such numbers as Moonlight Serenade, In the Mood, and a String of Pearls, memories of Blitz-era London will come flooding back.
You may also want to watch:
The music will span almost all the emotions of those difficult times; comradeship, fear, loss and, most significantly, the hope in love.
The Nick Ross Orchestra uses arrangements exactly as recorded in the Great Swing Era of the 1940s. For more information, visit www.nickrossorchestra.com.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
For your chance to win one of five pairs of tickets, send your answer to the question below, with your name, address and telephone number to Nick Ross Competition, c/o Maxine Leckerman, Recorder Newspapers Media House, 539 High Road, Ilford, Essex IG1 1UD.
Q: What anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the Blitz is being marked this year?