Westfield Stratford Shopping City murder: Five arrested and police step up patrols

Westfield Stratford Shopping City murder: Five arrested: Victim from Stratford.

Five men have been arrested following the fatal stabbing at the Westfield Stratford City shopping complex yesterday afternoon.

The man who was stabbed to death is a 24-year-old who lives in Stratford, Scotland Yard have revealed.

The arrests came after Newham Police used social networking sites last night to reveal they had stepped up patrols at Westfield to prevent any further trouble following the gang fight which ended in murder.

They said on Twitter and Facebook that had flooded the area with extra patrols and officers to stop any potential further trouble and there would be an increased presence over the weekend.

Detectives continue to appeal for witnesses and information after the murder at the centre.

Officers were called at around 4.25pm to reports of a fight involving a large group of males in The Street on the ground floor of Westfield. A spokesman said: “Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the scene. A man aged 24, who lived locally in Stratford, suffered stab wounds - he was pronounced dead at the scene. We await formal identification. Next of kin have been informed.”

Most Read

A post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course.

An incident room has opened at Barking under Acting Det Chief Insp Andy Kelly. Enquiries continue to establish the full circumstances of the incident.

Two other men were injured. One had a stab wound and another minor injuries. They were treated in hospital.

Acting Det Chief Insp Kelly said: “We believe that shoppers at the centre may have filmed or photographed some part of the incident on their mobile phones.We encourage them to come forward and share this potentially vital material with us.”

Any witnesses or anyone who can assist should call the incident room on (020) 8345 3775; if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111

The five who were arrested are aged between 21 and 23. They were arrested in connection with the enquiry and are in custody.

The area around where the fight occurred was sealed off and some shops were asked to close early while police forensic teams investigated. Some parts of the complex remain closed this morning.

A spokeswoman for Westfield said “Westfield are working closely with the police and emergency services,” she said.

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called just before 4.25pm to reports of a stabbing at Westfield and sent two ambulance crews, a responder in a car, an officer and London’s Air Ambulance to the scene.

“Sadly, despite extensive efforts to resuscitate him, the patient was pronounced dead at the scene.

We were also called to Stratford underground station and sent two further ambulance crews and another responder in a car. Two male patients were treated at the scene, one of them for stab wounds and a second for minor injuries, and both have been taken to hospital.”