Westfield Stratford fall was ‘attempted suicide’, police say
- Credit: Archant
Police have today confirmed it was an “attempted suicide” when a teenager from Manor Park fell from a balcony and landed on a man passing though Westfield.
Both men had a lucky escape when the 18-year-old plunged 80ft feet and landed on the 47-year-old passing though Westfield.
A woman watched helplessly as the teenager landed on her husband inside the shopping centre last Thursday, according to witnesses.
A Newham Police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm it was an attempted suicide.”
Despite the impact of the massive fall both men, whose names have not been released, survived without life threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene at the shopping centre at around 3.30pm. Both men were taken to The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said: “The patient who fell from the balcony had leg and pelvic injuries. The patient he fell on had head injuries and side and back pain.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
A Newham police spokeswoman since said that the 47-year-old man’s head injuries were a concussion and that he suffered broken ribs and severe bruising.
Police are still investigating the full circumstances of the incident. No arrests have been made.