Westfield Stratford fall was ‘attempted suicide’, police say
- Credit: Archant
Police have today confirmed it was an “attempted suicide” when a teenager from Manor Park fell from a balcony and landed on a man passing though Westfield.
Both men had a lucky escape when the 18-year-old plunged 80ft feet and landed on the 47-year-old passing though Westfield.
A woman watched helplessly as the teenager landed on her husband inside the shopping centre last Thursday, according to witnesses.
A Newham Police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm it was an attempted suicide.”
Despite the impact of the massive fall both men, whose names have not been released, survived without life threatening injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene at the shopping centre at around 3.30pm. Both men were taken to The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said: “The patient who fell from the balcony had leg and pelvic injuries. The patient he fell on had head injuries and side and back pain.”
- 1 £10k reward offered one year after fatal stabbing of Stephen Morrisson
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern welcomes back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 Beckton state school outshines top independents in Mandarin competition
- 7 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 8 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 Cyclist casualties on borough's roads rise as more people travel by bike
A Newham police spokeswoman since said that the 47-year-old man’s head injuries were a concussion and that he suffered broken ribs and severe bruising.
Police are still investigating the full circumstances of the incident. No arrests have been made.