Westfield Stratford City set for expansion and 1,200 homes
- Credit: Archant
If you’ve ever spent so much time in Westfield Stratford City you’ve thought you may as well live there, then a new development could be for you.
The chain, which has malls in Australia, New Zealand and the USA as well as in London, has submitted a planning application to expand onto Cherry Park, adjacent to the Stratford shopping centre.
If approved, the development will provide 1,225 homes and a 2,700 sq m public park.
There will also be 3,000 sq m of commercial space for small to medium sized businesses, with provision to accommodate an additional 10,000 sq m of retail space.
A spokeswoman confirmed the application, saying: “Westfield has submitted a planning application, which is an update to its existing planning permission, for new homes, retail and community spaces.
You may also want to watch:
“The delivery of a mixed use development, including residential and offices was a key requirement of the original planning permission for Stratford City.”
The Cherry Park site sits south of the shopping centre and is vacant.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
While no homes exist as part of the Westfield complex, it does include two hotels in addition to the casino, cinema, restaurants and shops.
The plans follow last year’s approval to expand the Westfield London centre in Shepherds Bush, which is set to include more than 1,000 homes,
The chain, which operates more than 100 shopping centres across the globe, is also expanding across London with plans to open its third UK venue in Croydon.