Cause of Royal Docks tower block fire revealed
- Credit: LFB
A fire at a 20-storey block of flats was caused by smoking materials not being put out properly.
Eight fire engines and about 60 firefighters were called to the blaze in Western Gateway, Royal Docks on Saturday, February 13.
Half of a second floor balcony and a small part of the flat were damaged by the flames.
It also damaged half a third story balcony. Three women fled the flat before the fire brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.
The brigade was called at 4.38am and the fire was under control by 6.54am.
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Plaistow, Millwall, Stratford, Shadwell and surrounding fire stations were at the scene.
The brigade's investigators believe the fire was accidental. The emergency service has published safety advice to smokers following the fire.
- 1 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 2 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 3 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 6 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 7 Newham Council is making a difference
- 8 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 9 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 10 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
This includes making sure cigarettes are put out properly, not smoking in bed, keeping matches out of the reach of children and not leaving pipes or ciggies unattended.