West Ham shirt helps raise cash
A signed shirt donated by West Ham football club helped a family raise �1,000 for hospital equipment in the memory of a relative.
Ronald Frederick Brown, 76, of Hathaway Crescent, Manor Park, was admitted to St Barts in December 2010 after he was diagnosed with cancer. He was in hospital for a week until he passed away at the end of the month.
His family and friends arranged a memorial evening and raised more than �1,000 and donated the money to Ward 5a where Ron spent his final days. The money will be used to buy a portable bladder scanner.
Sheila Brown, Mr Brown’s widow, said they wanted to do something for the staff because they looked after him so well in his final days.
Among the items donated was a signed West Ham shirt which Mr Brown’s widow Sheila, bid for and gave it to their grandson Kane Ralph, 13, who is pictured with it at the Upton Park grounds. To make the occasion even more memorable, the club’s staff let him and his sister Ellie, 16, into the grounds to have their photos taken.
You may also want to watch:
Rebecca Massey, the couple’s granddaughter, said: “Kane’s a huge West Ham fan as are the whole family especially our grandad Ron. We were grateful to the staff at West Ham who let us take photos on the pitch with the shirt. Kane was absolutely over the moon when he won the shirt.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration