West Ham MP Lyn Brown donates to Christmas Toy Appeal
We are up and running in our bid to ensure needy children do not miss out this Christmas.
Activity has stepped up a gear since our launch two weeks ago, and we have now collected a brilliant 1,500 toys.
When we started our campaign 36 years ago that would have beaten our target.
But now it is a relative drop in the ocean towards our target of 13,000 new gifts.
It means we still need another 11,500 toys if no child is to miss out on the joys of Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
That’s 3,000 a week!
News has been coming in of events that are being planned, and there are details on this page.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
Plus, we will have more next week to tell you about.
The campaign got a boost from West Ham MP Lyn Brown this week when she visited the office and made a personal donation of �100 to the campaign.
Ms Brown said: “I love seeing the delight on a child’s face as they unwrap their presents at Christmas but sadly, every year, there are thousands of children who will not get to experience this joy.
“Times are hard and for many families the cost of Christmas is more than they can afford. The toy appeal ensures that many more children from Newham get the special Christmas they deserve and I am pleased to contribute to it.
“Christmas is about generosity and kindness. For those who can afford it, the cost of donating is small but the impact for children is huge.”
Community Links is staging a Christmas lunch to raise funds for the appeal and buy new toys. Places for the meal on Thursday, December 13, have to be booked.
A meal of soup of the day or melon, turkey main course, sausages, ham, roast potatoes and sprouts and carrots, parsnips, and stuffing or a vegetarian alternative will be followed by mince pies, or custard and trifle, or fruit salad, and costs just �9, or �65 for a table of eight.
Veggie options are available. The meals are served between noon and 3pm, with last orders at 2.15pm.
This year the meal will be prepared and cooked by Jamie‘s Ministry of Food in Stratford.
There will also be live entertaiment from the D’Ukes Ukulele Band, playing traditional Christmas songs, and there will be a giant raffle.
Phone (020) 7473 9685 or 020 7473 2270 or email email@example.com for details.