West Ham MP bakes cakes for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Lyn Brown MP is baking cakes to raise money for a national cancer charity with a local cake sale.
Ms Brown will donate the money raised by the cakes to Macmillan Cancer Support, which is holding a Big Coffee Morning to raise funds on October 4.
The MP for West Ham will use ingredients donated by Waitrose and Tate and Lyle Sugars in Canary Wharf, where she visited last week.
Ms Brown’s charity baking, in partnership with the Women’s Institute in Forest Gate, follows the £800 she helped raise for Macmillan with a cake sale last year.
She said: “Macmillan’s Big Coffee Morning for which I am baking cakes, comes when I have a little spare time to devote to baking. “The Macmillan nurses are an amazing resource for people and their families living with cancer.
You may also want to watch:
“My mum died of cancer just over two years ago and her birthday is in September. I am therefore delighted by the opportunity to work with others in Newham to raise funds for such a worthy and important cause.”
Ms Brown’s cake sale will be at Newham Dockside on Friday 4 October.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley