West Ham fans walk to every London football club for charity
- Credit: Archant
A team of West Ham fans have raised thousands of pounds for charity by walking to every Football League club in the capital, in less than three days.
The five friends set off from the Hammers’ Boleyn Ground recently to embark on their 73-mile trek.
With an initial target of £6,000, money will be split between the Bobby Moore fund and St Nichols Hospice care, based in the team’s hometown of Bury St Edmunds.
Neil Hutson, 42, organised the challenge in memory of life-long West Ham fan Dennis Driscoll, who died from asbestos-related cancer in March last year, and Dennis’ son Kevin and grandson Chas were among those taking part.
“My feet were throbbing at the end of it,” said Kevin. “It was like walking on glass.
You may also want to watch:
“It was very successful weekend though and fantastic to have raised so much money.”
The group had already raised £1,430 through an auction at the Princess of Wales pub in Stratford and with more fundraisers planned, are now targeting the £10,000 mark.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
Sean Clarke, 49, was impressed by the hospitality shown by the clubs with all inviting them in for a walk down the tunnels.
“It was absolutely amazing,” he said. “Every single club was very welcoming and we met some great people along the way.
“Football really does bring people together and we’ve got loads of funny little stories along the way.
“It was probably the smoggiest day of the year and people were advised to stay indoors, but there was us walking all-day long straight through it.”
The group will host an online auction featuring a range of footballing memorabilia later in the month followed by a live auction with ex-boxer Dave ‘Boy’ Green.
For more information or to donate to the team visit walk4dennis.co.uk.