West Ham fans walk to every London football club for charity
- Credit: Archant
A team of West Ham fans have raised thousands of pounds for charity by walking to every Football League club in the capital, in less than three days.
The five friends set off from the Hammers’ Boleyn Ground recently to embark on their 73-mile trek.
With an initial target of £6,000, money will be split between the Bobby Moore fund and St Nichols Hospice care, based in the team’s hometown of Bury St Edmunds.
Neil Hutson, 42, organised the challenge in memory of life-long West Ham fan Dennis Driscoll, who died from asbestos-related cancer in March last year, and Dennis’ son Kevin and grandson Chas were among those taking part.
“My feet were throbbing at the end of it,” said Kevin. “It was like walking on glass.
You may also want to watch:
“It was very successful weekend though and fantastic to have raised so much money.”
The group had already raised £1,430 through an auction at the Princess of Wales pub in Stratford and with more fundraisers planned, are now targeting the £10,000 mark.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
Sean Clarke, 49, was impressed by the hospitality shown by the clubs with all inviting them in for a walk down the tunnels.
“It was absolutely amazing,” he said. “Every single club was very welcoming and we met some great people along the way.
“Football really does bring people together and we’ve got loads of funny little stories along the way.
“It was probably the smoggiest day of the year and people were advised to stay indoors, but there was us walking all-day long straight through it.”
The group will host an online auction featuring a range of footballing memorabilia later in the month followed by a live auction with ex-boxer Dave ‘Boy’ Green.
For more information or to donate to the team visit walk4dennis.co.uk.