West Ham Cottee: I would keep hold of Carroll and Sakho next season
- Credit: Archant
Our Hammers correspondent Tony Cottee says the club still need a 20-goal striker
We are another point nearer to Premier League safety, but I think we probably had the chances to win at Stoke City on Saturday.
I have gone on record to say that Darren Randolph is my number one goalkeeper at West Ham, but I have to say that Adrian has done well since he has come back into the team.
Darren did make a couple of high profile mistakes and I think with both of them being good keepers it was time for Adrian to come back in and he has done well.
By the end of the match on Saturday, we didn’t have a single striker on the field and as a striker myself, that is something I would not be happy with.
Andre Ayew did not seem too happy to come off, but I think it is good that he showed his displeasure.
I always hated being subbed and Andre is clearly the same, but as long as he does it in the right way, I am not bothered at all about him reacting like that – he should be upset to come off.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 4 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 9 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 10 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
The game saw us play without both Andy Carroll and Diafra Sakho once again because of injury and this is a worrying trend.
Every Premier League club needs four or five strikers during the season, but if two of those are injured as they have been for much of the season, then goals are going to be a real problem.
Personally I am a fan of both of them and would keep them next season, but I still think that we need to sign another top quality striker.
That can’t be Daniel Sturridge, who is another who has had serious injury problems. We can’t afford another one of those, but we need to find someone who is reliable and will score 20 goals in a season.
I am the last person to have scored 20 goals in a top-flight season for the Hammers and that was back in 1987, so it is about time we found another who can do that.
I will be at the London Stadium on Friday night and I am really looking forward to the clash against Spurs.
These games are always special against Tottenham and this has added spice as they are still going for the title.
It is going to be so tough and even us West Ham fans have to admit that they are a very good side – though we won’t go overboard.
Remember last season we beat them 1-0 at Upton Park when they were also flying high.
They are our local rivals and I know the boys are going to be up for it and though it is going to be hard, I will go for a 1-1 draw. COYI!