West Ham boss: Promotion to the Premier League means everything to me
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has spoke of his delight after the Hammers secured promotion to the Premier League with a 2-1 play-off final victory at Wembley.
Ricardo Vaz Te’s late strike at Wembley secured the win as the east Londoners made an instant return to the top flight following last season’s relegation.
Allardyce replaced the sacked Avram Grant for the start of the campaign, with his only brief to get West Ham back into the top flight.
“It’s everything to me because I have been in Premier League for more than 10 years or so and I wanted to come here and experience a successful season,” he told Sky Sports.
“It was very difficult to turn club around with relegation problem. We came good right at the very end.
You may also want to watch:
“I will look forward to celebration first before I think about the Premier league next year, we are absolutely delighted. We’ve got we want we are going up!”
Victory was not always assured especially after the Tangerines dominated the second half, equalising just three minutes into the second period through Thomas Ince, whose strike cancelled out Carlton Cole’s first half opener.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
“I told you it would be difficult,” Allardyce added. “Blackpool were equally as good as us but it is about finishing power in the end. It is about taking your chances.”