West Ham boss: Promotion to the Premier League means everything to me
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has spoke of his delight after the Hammers secured promotion to the Premier League with a 2-1 play-off final victory at Wembley.
Ricardo Vaz Te’s late strike at Wembley secured the win as the east Londoners made an instant return to the top flight following last season’s relegation.
Allardyce replaced the sacked Avram Grant for the start of the campaign, with his only brief to get West Ham back into the top flight.
“It’s everything to me because I have been in Premier League for more than 10 years or so and I wanted to come here and experience a successful season,” he told Sky Sports.
“It was very difficult to turn club around with relegation problem. We came good right at the very end.
You may also want to watch:
“I will look forward to celebration first before I think about the Premier league next year, we are absolutely delighted. We’ve got we want we are going up!”
Victory was not always assured especially after the Tangerines dominated the second half, equalising just three minutes into the second period through Thomas Ince, whose strike cancelled out Carlton Cole’s first half opener.
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 6 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 7 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 8 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
“I told you it would be difficult,” Allardyce added. “Blackpool were equally as good as us but it is about finishing power in the end. It is about taking your chances.”