WEEKEND PREVIEW: McGleish wants Orient to build some momentum
Veteran striker believes the O’s have started to turn the corner
ORIENT striker Scott McGleish is hoping the club can capitalise on last weekend’s win against Hartlepool and move further away from the League One drop zone this weekend.
The O’s travel to Swindon Town on Saturday as one of just two sides yet to register an away success in League One this season - Dagenham & Redbridge being the other.
“We need to build on the win against Hartlepool and try and get some momentum going and maintain it, that’s the most important thing,” said McGleish.
“Last weekend’s victory will only be a good one if we win the next game. If we win one and lose one, it’s not good enough.”
You may also want to watch:
Orient have lost just one of their last five league games and McGleish added: “We’re on a decent run and hopefully, we have started to turn the corner.
“We have beaten Hartlepool and although we lost at Sheffield Wednesday, we had a couple of decent results before that.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 6 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 7 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
McGleish is Orient’s leading scorer and has netted four times in the league this season, which leaves him just six goals away from achieving one of his long-term ambitions.
“I’m six away from scoring 200 league goals. It’s a target - but that’s all it is,” explained McGleish.
“Once I get there I’m not going to finish or anything like that.
“You have got to set targets and I know that if I get to 200 then I’d have scored 10 league goals this season and if I don’t get 10 I’d be disappointed no matter what age I am,” said the 36-year-old hit man.
Until Jonathan Tehoue’s last-gasp winner against Hartlepool, Orient had managed just one goal in their previous four games and McGleish admits: “Goals are a little bit harder to score at the moment, but I still fancy myself to get double figures and more.
“If I can beat last year’s total I’d have improved on last season, even if I am 36 or 37,”
For the record, McGleish netted 12 times last season and scored the winner the last time the O’s won an away game in the league, at Charlton Athletic back in January.
How he’d love history to repeat itself at Swindon Town this weekend.