We’re up and running for Christmas Toy Appeal
WE are up and running in the Community Links and Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal for 2009.
And in the first seven days, we have amassed around 500 gifts. For the first week, that is a brilliant start and proof of how generous local people are. However, that is slightly less than last year.
But it is just that...a start. Now we need another 13,000 toys to ensure no child is left out at this special time of year.
For the 34th year we have proudly launched our appeal in conjunction with the group that is at the heart of local in our borough, care organisation Community Links.
There are just five weeks left until Christmas Eve, so we need help now.
SoonI will attempt my usual sponsored swim for the campaign and if you want to sponsor me, all donations will be greatfully accepted. What I raise will hopefully be matched by funding from the Newham Recorder’s parent company Archant, through their scheme called Archant Gold.
This week, Newham Chamber of Commerce signed up and agreed to stage a “bring a toy collection” at a breakfast meeting. Links Co-Founder and Senior Advisor Kevin Jenkins is to address the chamber’s monthly meeting on November to tell them about the campaign and how it is going. A letter is being sent to all members asking for their support.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 4 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 5 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 6 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 7 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 8 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 9 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 10 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
We hold our quiz night soon so get your entries in and tables booked quickly.
Amd Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales, who always makes a generous donation to the campaign, has pledged the support of Newham Council staff and centres for the appeal.
Meanwhile, Community Links are busy preparing for the parties at which the toys you donate will be handed out, bringing joy to so many. The parties are to be staged at Links’ main base in Barking Road, Canning Town.
Please do all you can to make this year’s appeal one to remember. There are a lot of young people depending on YOU.