We’re up and running for Christmas Toy Appeal
WE are up and running in the Community Links and Newham Recorder Christmas Toy Appeal for 2009.
And in the first seven days, we have amassed around 500 gifts. For the first week, that is a brilliant start and proof of how generous local people are. However, that is slightly less than last year.
But it is just that...a start. Now we need another 13,000 toys to ensure no child is left out at this special time of year.
For the 34th year we have proudly launched our appeal in conjunction with the group that is at the heart of local in our borough, care organisation Community Links.
There are just five weeks left until Christmas Eve, so we need help now.
You may also want to watch:
SoonI will attempt my usual sponsored swim for the campaign and if you want to sponsor me, all donations will be greatfully accepted. What I raise will hopefully be matched by funding from the Newham Recorder’s parent company Archant, through their scheme called Archant Gold.
This week, Newham Chamber of Commerce signed up and agreed to stage a “bring a toy collection” at a breakfast meeting. Links Co-Founder and Senior Advisor Kevin Jenkins is to address the chamber’s monthly meeting on November to tell them about the campaign and how it is going. A letter is being sent to all members asking for their support.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
We hold our quiz night soon so get your entries in and tables booked quickly.
Amd Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales, who always makes a generous donation to the campaign, has pledged the support of Newham Council staff and centres for the appeal.
Meanwhile, Community Links are busy preparing for the parties at which the toys you donate will be handed out, bringing joy to so many. The parties are to be staged at Links’ main base in Barking Road, Canning Town.
Please do all you can to make this year’s appeal one to remember. There are a lot of young people depending on YOU.