Warnings for irresponsible drivers at Beckton car meet
- Credit: Archant
Nine car enthusiasts who showed off their modified cars at a late night gathering in Beckton have received warnings for irresponsible driving.
Most of those attending the meets, including the 300 car owners who gathered in Claps Gate Lane retail park at the weekend, stick to the rules of the road when heading to and from the gatherings.
Some, however, race up and down the roads, revving their engines loudly and performing wheel spins in car parks, disturbing those living in the houses nearby.
Police and council enforcement officers have been working together to clamp down on the irresponsible drivers, with nine warnings issued to those who were acting irresponsibly during the latest meet on Saturday.
It means that if the drivers commit any more anti-social behaviour while in the vehicle, or if anyone else is seen to be driving it dangerously, it can be seized by police officers.
You may also want to watch:
Two more drivers had their cars taken away after they were found to be uninsured.
Cllr Unmesh Desai, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “We are aware that there are car enthusiasts who like to gather to display their modified cars, but unfortunately there is often anti-social behaviour associated with these events carried out by a minority of individuals.
- 1 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
“Let this be a warning to drivers of modified cars; we are aware of these events in our borough and we will be back to crack down on any anti-social behaviour and seize cars that are being driven recklessly, illegally or without insurance.”
Have you been affected by the nuisance motorists or have you taken part in the meetings?
Contact the newsdesk on 020 8477 3834