Voters take to polls today in Beckton by-election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Voters are taking to the polls in Beckton today to elect their third ward councillor.
The seat was left vacant following the death of Cllr Alec Kellaway in June.
Seven candidates are standing in a bid to represent the ward alongside current Labour councillors Ayesha Chowdhury and David Christie.
Conservative candidate Syed Ahmed, who came fourth in the ward in this year’s May elections, will again contest a seat.
Three former mayoral candidates will be aiming to become a councillor - David Thorpe, David Mears and Jane Lithgow of the Liberal Democrats, Ukip and the Greens respectively.
Kayode Shedowo will be standing for the Christian Peoples Alliance, Tonii Wilson for Labour and Mark Dunne for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.
Three polling stations are open across the ward from 7am to 10pm at Beckton Globe, Beckton Community Centre and Winsor Park Community Centre, and the count is expected to take place overnight at East Ham Town Hall.
- 1 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 3 Start date revealed for next Bishop of Barking after consecration
- 4 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 5 Newport's Norman sends Leyton Orient to late defeat
- 6 Have your say on the proposed east London constituency boundary changes
- 7 Get involved in London's first Great Mental Health Day
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Send us your stories and pictures with the Queen
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment