Voters take to polls today in Beckton by-election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Voters are taking to the polls in Beckton today to elect their third ward councillor.
The seat was left vacant following the death of Cllr Alec Kellaway in June.
Seven candidates are standing in a bid to represent the ward alongside current Labour councillors Ayesha Chowdhury and David Christie.
Conservative candidate Syed Ahmed, who came fourth in the ward in this year’s May elections, will again contest a seat.
Three former mayoral candidates will be aiming to become a councillor - David Thorpe, David Mears and Jane Lithgow of the Liberal Democrats, Ukip and the Greens respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Kayode Shedowo will be standing for the Christian Peoples Alliance, Tonii Wilson for Labour and Mark Dunne for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.
Three polling stations are open across the ward from 7am to 10pm at Beckton Globe, Beckton Community Centre and Winsor Park Community Centre, and the count is expected to take place overnight at East Ham Town Hall.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding