Volunteers refurbish Community Links in Canning Town
Over 100 volunteers helped to rebuild a Newham charity’s headquarters to help residents get back into work.
Community Links’ building at 105 Barking Road, Canning Town, was renewed and refurbished on Friday by employees from Aramark, who run hospitality services.
Working with Links for the past three years to enhance their community centres, the workforce installed new work support facilities in the form of inspirational murals throughout the building.
They created a new interview room, an improved external chill out area, as well as a variety of redecoration, refurbishment work including painting, woodwork, and minor repairs in addition to a spot of cleaning and tidying.
Val Carter, Corporate Responsbility and Learning Development Director for Aramark UK, said: “The volunteer day at Newham is not only an opportunity to make a valuable contribution to one of the most disadvantaged boroughs in London, but also allows for our Olympic team to work together in advance of the Olympic contract we’ll be delivering this summer.”
You may also want to watch:
The team of employees, which includes students and the until-recently unemployed, will also be providing food to the Olympic athletes and others at the Olympics.
Following the Games, volunteers will be using the Links headquarters to host a series of Work Ready workshops for young people and adults to enhance employment skills such as resume writing, workforce etiquette, interview skills, and career wardrobes.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines