Volunteers refurbish Community Links in Canning Town
Over 100 volunteers helped to rebuild a Newham charity’s headquarters to help residents get back into work.
Community Links’ building at 105 Barking Road, Canning Town, was renewed and refurbished on Friday by employees from Aramark, who run hospitality services.
Working with Links for the past three years to enhance their community centres, the workforce installed new work support facilities in the form of inspirational murals throughout the building.
They created a new interview room, an improved external chill out area, as well as a variety of redecoration, refurbishment work including painting, woodwork, and minor repairs in addition to a spot of cleaning and tidying.
Val Carter, Corporate Responsbility and Learning Development Director for Aramark UK, said: “The volunteer day at Newham is not only an opportunity to make a valuable contribution to one of the most disadvantaged boroughs in London, but also allows for our Olympic team to work together in advance of the Olympic contract we’ll be delivering this summer.”
You may also want to watch:
The team of employees, which includes students and the until-recently unemployed, will also be providing food to the Olympic athletes and others at the Olympics.
Following the Games, volunteers will be using the Links headquarters to host a series of Work Ready workshops for young people and adults to enhance employment skills such as resume writing, workforce etiquette, interview skills, and career wardrobes.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation