Volunteers “recaptured” Games spirit at Kasabian and Springsteen concerts
- Credit: submitted
Volunteers have been praised for helping to recapture the spirit of last summer’s London Games during Kasabian and Bruce Springsteen concerts.
The rockers became the first musicians to play at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park during the weekend’s Hard Rock Calling concerts - the first event since the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Up to a hundred local Park Champions volunteers helped out over two days of concerts which 80,000 people attended.
Chief executive of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Dennis Hone, said: “This weekend proved once again that east London can put on a great party. It was a real taste of what people can expect when the Park fully opens next year. I would like to thank all the local volunteers for their role in making it happen. I know they will continue to showcase the Park to tens of thousands of visitors over the coming weeks. And with great events like Go Local and Open East Festival just a few weeks away – and tickets still available – there is plenty of opportunity for other locals to join the fun and recapture the Spirit of 2012.”
The Summer Events Series continues this Saturday with the Summer Stampede headlined by folk rock band Mumford and Sons, Go Local on July 19 and the Open East Festival on July 27 and 28 July.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone planning to visit are advised to check www.QueenElizabethOlympicPark.co.uk before travelling to find out what is open and the best way to get there.
- 1 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 2 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 3 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 9 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 10 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed