Visitors gather at opening of Canning Town Caravanserai
Hundreds of people soaked up the atmosphere at the first event held by at the Canning Town Caravanserai.
The purpose-built site in Silvertown Way attracted residents and trendy professionals who shared their ideas with visitors to their stalls.
Over one weekend in April they gathered again at a workshop and put together inventive pieces of artwork, from arts banners and zoetrope, to giant fish for the parade.
Others simply enjoyed Caribbean food while chilling out on some locally made furniture.
A spokesman said: “We would love to thank everyone who came, but most especially all the fantastic stallholders and contributors who made the Caravanserai weekend such a success.”
You may also want to watch:
The Caravanserai is a five-year project that was installed in time for the Olympic Games. It was a winning entry in Newham Council’s Meanwhile London competition.
It contains a community garden, enterprise units, and allotments.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Another event will take place between May 16 and 19 and will be focused on community gardens and growing.