Visitors gather at opening of Canning Town Caravanserai
Hundreds of people soaked up the atmosphere at the first event held by at the Canning Town Caravanserai.
The purpose-built site in Silvertown Way attracted residents and trendy professionals who shared their ideas with visitors to their stalls.
Over one weekend in April they gathered again at a workshop and put together inventive pieces of artwork, from arts banners and zoetrope, to giant fish for the parade.
Others simply enjoyed Caribbean food while chilling out on some locally made furniture.
A spokesman said: “We would love to thank everyone who came, but most especially all the fantastic stallholders and contributors who made the Caravanserai weekend such a success.”
The Caravanserai is a five-year project that was installed in time for the Olympic Games. It was a winning entry in Newham Council’s Meanwhile London competition.
It contains a community garden, enterprise units, and allotments.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 6 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 7 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 8 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 9 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 10 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
Another event will take place between May 16 and 19 and will be focused on community gardens and growing.