Visitors gather at opening of Canning Town Caravanserai
Hundreds of people soaked up the atmosphere at the first event held by at the Canning Town Caravanserai.
The purpose-built site in Silvertown Way attracted residents and trendy professionals who shared their ideas with visitors to their stalls.
Over one weekend in April they gathered again at a workshop and put together inventive pieces of artwork, from arts banners and zoetrope, to giant fish for the parade.
Others simply enjoyed Caribbean food while chilling out on some locally made furniture.
A spokesman said: “We would love to thank everyone who came, but most especially all the fantastic stallholders and contributors who made the Caravanserai weekend such a success.”
You may also want to watch:
The Caravanserai is a five-year project that was installed in time for the Olympic Games. It was a winning entry in Newham Council’s Meanwhile London competition.
It contains a community garden, enterprise units, and allotments.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
Another event will take place between May 16 and 19 and will be focused on community gardens and growing.