Video: Watch the Mayor of Newham take on the Ice Bucket Challenge
- Credit: Archant
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales got cold and wet to help the Motor Neurone Disease Association by taking part in the Ice Bucket Challenge.
Inspired by the pro-UK Better Together campaign’s director of research Gordon Aikman’s story of being diagnosed with MND and after being nominated by Newham councillor Ellie Robinson, the Mayor was watched by more than 100 council staff and councillors as he took part in the challenge outside Newham Dockside earlier today.
Speaking after his soaking by Cllr Robinson, Deputy Mayor Lester Hudson and Cllr Forahd Hussain, Sir Robin said: “That was freezing! But I’m glad I took part. This challenge has captured the mood and imagination of the nation and I’m proud I, and Newham Council, are a part of it.
“Currently life with Motor Neurone Disease is a death sentence as Gordon Aikman has described and I hope that donations raised through this challenge in the UK and across the world help to escalate research towards finding a cure, as well as supporting those individuals and families who are currently living with the disease.”
The Mayor nominated Deputy Mayor Lester Hudson, Newham’s Young Mayor Adam Khaliq and Councillor Joy Laguda, Chair of Newham Council, to take the challenge.
Robin made a personal donation, staff and councillors texted their contributions and a collection outside Newham Dockside raised an additional £150 for the charity with further pledges of donations to follow.
To donate to MNDA: text ICED55 £5 (or other amount) to 70070, visit www.justgiving.com/mndassoc or call 01604 611 860 referencing Ice Bucket Challenge.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 8 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 9 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 10 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London