Video: Superheroes flock to Custom House for Comic Con
- Credit: Archant
It’s not everyday you share a bus or Tube carriage with a superhero – but it was hard to avoid bumping into one if you were down Custom House way during MCM Comic Con.
Why the superheroes chose to travel by public transport, though, when the ability to fly, run faster than a speeding bullet and jump tall buildings in a single bound are among the super powers they supposedly possess, wasn’t exactly clear.
Thousands of comic book and sci-fi fans, some dressed as their favourite costumed superhero, came from far and wide to the ExCeL Centre in the Royal Victoria Docks for the Europe’s annual biggest comic book convention.
The three-day festival showcases popular culture from the entertainment industry.
Apart from the usual attractions, such as special guests and stalls and sideshows, there were many who dressed-up as their favourite character, indulging in what is known as cosplay.
Some spend thousands of pounds recreating the costumes, make-up and props.
Many of them took part in the popular cosplay masquerade – one of the major highlights of the show.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 7 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point
Raquel Van Son and Danny Wijffelaars, who travelled from Holland and won acclaim in their impressive get-up as Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, said: “It is wonderful being here.
“It is a great place to express yourself and meet others with similar interests.”