Video footage of Royal Victoria Dock rescue of woman by Pc is released
Footage from a police helicopter of a Met officer saving a woman from drowning in the Royal Victoria Dock has been released.
The police constable has been praised after jumping into freezing water at the Royal Victoria Dock to save a woman who had fallen in.
“I’m proud of the brave actions of PC Whatling - he undoubtedly saved this woman’s life.”
PC Robin Whatling, a response officer based at Stratford police station, acted without hesitation to rescue the distressed 58-year-old.
Officers had been called at 11.52pm on Monday 26 September 2011 to reports that someone had fallen into the water.
You may also want to watch:
On arrival, they found the woman clinging to a buoy 20 feet out from the side of the dock.
The police helicopter’s night vision camera captured the heroic efforts of PC Whatling.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
The footage shows how he quickly swam out to the stranded women, with two heavy lifebuoys around his waist. He then puts one of the lifebuoys over the stranded woman and pulls her back to safety.
The London Ambulance Service was waiting and the woman was taken to Newham General Hospital where she was later discharged.
Pc Whatling, aged 27, said: “When I arrived on scene, my instincts took over. The woman had stopped responding and was showing signs of hypothermia so my first priority was to get her out of the water and to safety.”
Chief Insp Guy Wade said: “I’m proud of the brave actions of PC Whatling - he undoubtedly saved this woman’s life.
“Police officers carry out acts of bravery every day in Newham but what PC Whatling did is certainly not an everyday occurrence.
“PC Whatling, after being checked over, suffered no ill-effects from the cold water. In fact he was back at work the next day, helping to keep Newham safe.”
It is believed the woman fell into the water while trying to retrieve her handbag.
To see the video go to: http://content.met.police.uk/News/Met-officer-saves-woman-from-drowning/1400003432497/1257246745756?scope_id=1257246764237