Veteran Paralympian at UEL inspires young to sport
A veteran Paralympian visited an east London university to inspire young people as part of a special sports programme.
Tim Prendergast, who hails from New Zealand, has an impressive tally of one gold medal and two silver medals to his name. Despite clocking a personal best time at this summer’s 800M T13 final to finish fifth, Tim showed no sign of post-Games fatigue when he visited the �21million SportsDock facility at the University of East London for a Sportivate wheelchair basketball session
Sportivate, which started in September, is offering a number of free sports courses for 14-25 year olds. As part of the eight week programme, people will be able to try out a variety of sports for free including paralympic sport, badminton, football, judo, cardio tennis, gymnastics and volleyball.
Speaking to UEL, Tim said: “It is great to be part of something that is engaging people through sport. I have been into a number of schools following the London 2012 Games and they are still buzzing, so it is very important to try and harness that enthusiasm. This is a really good scheme and will hopefully give people the chance to try either an Olympic or Paralympic sport.”
Tim Prendergast is part of Sporting Champions, which is a Sport England initiative bringing world-class athletes face-to-face with young people to inspire and motivate them
You may also want to watch:
To book a place on a Sportivate, contact 020 8223 6888 or visit SportsDock reception at University Way, Silvertown.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 9 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total