Upton Park roof garden transformed
- Credit: Archant
A roof garden in Upton Park has been transformed thanks to a team of volunteers from BT.
The group spent a day clearing flowerbeds and planting bulbs, shrubs and tomatoes in the garden which tops the roof of Hamara Ghar in Green Street.
Volunteers, who were assisted by residents, also installed a new shed.
Almost 150 over 55s live in Hamara Shar, which provides 120 flats for Asian and ethnic minority people.
The scheme was established in 1995 and is managed by Genesis Housing Association.
Rajpal Singh, the association’s service manager, said: “Residents here can be quite isolated and we try to arrange events like these as often as we are able, as they can really help to encourage people to leave their flats and mix with others.
“The garden has loads of potential and we are trying to encourage residents to form groups and have meetings here as there is a lot that can be done with this space.”
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 7 Hard-working Leyton Orient 'nowhere near best' in Mansfield win says Wellens
- 8 West Ham United 'didn't have any luck' at Forest says Moyes
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers