Upton Park roof garden transformed
- Credit: Archant
A roof garden in Upton Park has been transformed thanks to a team of volunteers from BT.
The group spent a day clearing flowerbeds and planting bulbs, shrubs and tomatoes in the garden which tops the roof of Hamara Ghar in Green Street.
Volunteers, who were assisted by residents, also installed a new shed.
Almost 150 over 55s live in Hamara Shar, which provides 120 flats for Asian and ethnic minority people.
The scheme was established in 1995 and is managed by Genesis Housing Association.
Rajpal Singh, the association’s service manager, said: “Residents here can be quite isolated and we try to arrange events like these as often as we are able, as they can really help to encourage people to leave their flats and mix with others.
“The garden has loads of potential and we are trying to encourage residents to form groups and have meetings here as there is a lot that can be done with this space.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 7 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point