Disposal of barbecue causes blaze in Upton Park, fire brigade warns

Fire in Manor Park

Two vehicles were destroyed after a fire broke out at a car workshop in Manor Park. - Credit: London Fire Brigade

A barbecue is believed to have caused a fire at a car park in Upton Park.

Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters were called to the blaze in Shipbuilding Way on Sunday, September 5.

Three wooden pallets were damaged by the flames but there were no reports of injuries.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called at 9.41pm to the road, which runs through a development built on West Ham United's former Boleyn Ground home.

Crews from Barking, East Ham and Stratford tackled the fire and brought it under control by 10.52pm.

An LFB spokesperson said: "The fire is believed to be accidental and caused by the disposal of a barbecue."


You may also want to watch:


The fire has prompted a warning from the brigade to never use a barbecue – including disposables – indoors or on a balcony.

It also recommends not using petrol, paraffin or any flammable liquids on a barbecue, with firelighters described by the LFB as "a much safer option".

Most Read

Never leaving barbecues unattended and extinguishing them properly after use is also recommended.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter