Update: Manor Park studio fire now under control
This was the scene in Manor Park earlier today as firefighters tackled a blaze which left a community studio building seriously damaged.
Around 40 firefighters battled the blaze at Church Road Studios from about 10am.
The road was closed to motorists for almost four hours while 10 fire engines, including crews from East Ham, Stratford and Plaistow, were scrambled to the scene.
The incident was brought under control at around 1.50pm. Flames damaged part of the building’s roof and second floor.
Nobody was reported injured.
Witnesses said the firefighters faced problems entering the building as the entrances were locked. Church Road Studios is used for a range of community events, including a mother and toddler group and an arts class.
Satpal Kaur, who works in the nearby Church Road Pharmacy, said: “I was actually doing some dispensing at the time but I heard all fire engines come down and then the road was closed.
- 1 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 2 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 3 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 4 Romford West Ham fan accused of harassing Jewish man on flight
- 5 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 8 Third straight win takes Newham top of the table
- 9 'Never limit ourselves': Dance school reaches 18 years of success
- 10 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
“I heard there were some people inside the building when the call was made and that it was hard for (the firefighters) to get in because the gates were closed.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.