Update: Manor Park studio fire now under control
This was the scene in Manor Park earlier today as firefighters tackled a blaze which left a community studio building seriously damaged.
Around 40 firefighters battled the blaze at Church Road Studios from about 10am.
The road was closed to motorists for almost four hours while 10 fire engines, including crews from East Ham, Stratford and Plaistow, were scrambled to the scene.
The incident was brought under control at around 1.50pm. Flames damaged part of the building’s roof and second floor.
Nobody was reported injured.
You may also want to watch:
Witnesses said the firefighters faced problems entering the building as the entrances were locked. Church Road Studios is used for a range of community events, including a mother and toddler group and an arts class.
Satpal Kaur, who works in the nearby Church Road Pharmacy, said: “I was actually doing some dispensing at the time but I heard all fire engines come down and then the road was closed.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
“I heard there were some people inside the building when the call was made and that it was hard for (the firefighters) to get in because the gates were closed.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.