Update: Manor Park studio fire now under control
This was the scene in Manor Park earlier today as firefighters tackled a blaze which left a community studio building seriously damaged.
Around 40 firefighters battled the blaze at Church Road Studios from about 10am.
The road was closed to motorists for almost four hours while 10 fire engines, including crews from East Ham, Stratford and Plaistow, were scrambled to the scene.
The incident was brought under control at around 1.50pm. Flames damaged part of the building’s roof and second floor.
Nobody was reported injured.
You may also want to watch:
Witnesses said the firefighters faced problems entering the building as the entrances were locked. Church Road Studios is used for a range of community events, including a mother and toddler group and an arts class.
Satpal Kaur, who works in the nearby Church Road Pharmacy, said: “I was actually doing some dispensing at the time but I heard all fire engines come down and then the road was closed.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 7 Commission set up to explore future of special needs provision in Newham
- 8 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 9 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 10 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
“I heard there were some people inside the building when the call was made and that it was hard for (the firefighters) to get in because the gates were closed.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.