Update: Manor Park studio fire now under control
This was the scene in Manor Park earlier today as firefighters tackled a blaze which left a community studio building seriously damaged.
Around 40 firefighters battled the blaze at Church Road Studios from about 10am.
The road was closed to motorists for almost four hours while 10 fire engines, including crews from East Ham, Stratford and Plaistow, were scrambled to the scene.
The incident was brought under control at around 1.50pm. Flames damaged part of the building’s roof and second floor.
Nobody was reported injured.
You may also want to watch:
Witnesses said the firefighters faced problems entering the building as the entrances were locked. Church Road Studios is used for a range of community events, including a mother and toddler group and an arts class.
Satpal Kaur, who works in the nearby Church Road Pharmacy, said: “I was actually doing some dispensing at the time but I heard all fire engines come down and then the road was closed.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
“I heard there were some people inside the building when the call was made and that it was hard for (the firefighters) to get in because the gates were closed.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.