Update: Council searching for alternative sites after Upton Centre closure
- Credit: Archant
Upton Community Centre users have been left out in the cold after the popular venue was closed with immediate effect on Friday.
There had been problems with the heating at the Claude Road site, which is used by a nursery as well as for youth groups, language classes and clubs for older people, for the past two months.
When engineers arrived to install new burners in a bid to solve the problem, they could not do so and were unable to restart the heating system due to a number of issues.
After further inspection, the boiler controls, boiler refractory and electrical wiring were found no longer to comply with regulations.
A council spokeswoman said: “We understand that the Upton Centre is an important place for many of our residents and community organisations.
You may also want to watch:
“We are doing everything we can to find suitable alternative locations for users while we investigate the condition of the heating system.”
She added that the council have “identified a number of council-run community centres nearby that have the capacity to accommodate the groups”, but urged parents with children at the nursery to seek alternative arrangements for the New Year.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 7 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 8 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
The council will now carry out a review of the heating system and the potential costs involved in reopening the centre.