Unwavering support for Macmillan Cancer Care from Beckton community
A recession could not halt the annual generosity of residents and friends in Beckton who got together again to raise money for a worthy cause.
Jean Field, of Shaftesbury Court sheltered housing accommodation in Sapphire Close, holds a coffee morning full of refreshments and activities for her neighbours and the local community every year.
The cheery group fundraise for Macmillan Cancer Care, a cause particularly close to Jean’s heart, who support nurses and volunteers who care for those with the life-threatening disease.
Everyone pitched in with the refreshments and cake while a couple of the residents ran a raffle and made a tombola for entertainment.
The charitable bunch raised just over �260 for Macmillan Cancer Care.
You may also want to watch:
Generous Jean said: “The money was raised by people who live on the premises along with some friends, some relations and carers.
“It was a very successful morning.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Jean also wanted to extend her thanks to Mr Patel at her local Post Office for his contribution to the cause.