UK Power Networks win ‘Utility of the Year’ award for lighting up Olympics
Engineers lighting up the summer Olympics picked up their own ‘gold’ last night when they were named the utility industry’s ‘Team of the Year.’
It was a double ‘gold’ as the ‘sparks’ won the prestigious ‘Team’ accolade while their company, UK Power Networks, won the ‘Utility of the Year’ title at the Utility Industry achievement awards.
Judges were impressed by the team’s “performance and effort marshalled to build and operate the power network for the Olympic Park.”
The company completed the Olympic Park’s state-of-the-art electrical network on time and within budget, keeping the power switched on for Games venues and public transport hubs.
UK Power’s chief Basil Scarsella said: “It’s rewarding for our 5,000 employees and 2,000 contractors to see the standards they achieved are being recognised by independent industry experts.”
You may also want to watch:
The two awards come only two years after the network, covering London and the South East, was formed in 2010.
But the company was also a triple finalist at the awards, having been shortlisted for the Environment category recognising its partnership with wildlife trusts.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow