Two women rescued from flat fire in West Ham
Two women were rescued from a fire in West Ham yesterday after a pan of oil was left unattended on a hot stove.
Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Stratford and Poplar stations were called to reports of a blaze in a flat on Memorial Avenue at 4.51pm.
Ten people from surrounding flats had left the building before the Fire Brigade arrived but crews saved two women who were treated by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The fire was brought under control at 5.59pm but the kitchen was left severely damaged.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: ““You should never, ever leave cooking unattended – particularly when cooking with oil. Oil can catch fire easily if not used properly, and can create dangerous and unpredictable fires.
You may also want to watch:
“Never leave the kitchen when cooking on a stove, or remove anything from the heat if you do have to nip out – it could save your life.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross