Two men arrested after fire at Arnold Schwarzenegger gym in Forest Gate released on police bail
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Two men who were arrested on suspicion of arson after a building, where Arnold Schwarzenegger trained in the 1960s, caught fire have been released on police bail.
The Lithuanian men, reported to have been squatting at the former Wag Bennett’s gym in Romford Road, Forest Gate, had been taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after the fire, which happened in the early hours of Saturday.
One was rescued by firefighters from the roof of the two-storey house while the other had escaped the fire before the London Fire Brigade arrived.
The two men, of no fixed abode, were bailed to return to a police station at a later date, according to a police spokesman.
About 60 firefighters tackled the fire which took about four hours to bring under control. Romford Road was closed for about 11 hours while the scene was investigated by police and the London Fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
The roof of the building was destroyed, while half of the ground floor and half of the first floor was damaged in the blaze.
The building is believed to have been disused.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
Arnie trained there before becoming the youngest ever Mr Universe, aged 20. He went on to become a Hollywood star, best know for films such as The Terminator, and later becoming Governor of California.