Tumble dryer suspected as cause of Custom House blaze
A tumble dryer is thought to have caused a fire which tore through a kitchen at a house in Custom House early this morning.
Around 20 firefighters from Plaistow, Silvertown and Poplar tackled the blaze in Butchers Road at about 1.50am.
Everybody inside the house managed to escape unhurt, despite the ferocity of the fire, which took hold on the second floor.
Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the property and put out the flames. The incident was under control by 4am.
Plaistow White Watch manager Martin Knight said the occupants were woken up by their smoke alarm.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I dread to think what might have happened at that time of night with not many people up.
“We believe it might have been caused by the tumble dryer. It can be quite common because you get a build-up of fibres.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
“It is still under investigation.”