Tumble dryer suspected as cause of Custom House blaze
A tumble dryer is thought to have caused a fire which tore through a kitchen at a house in Custom House early this morning.
Around 20 firefighters from Plaistow, Silvertown and Poplar tackled the blaze in Butchers Road at about 1.50am.
Everybody inside the house managed to escape unhurt, despite the ferocity of the fire, which took hold on the second floor.
Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the property and put out the flames. The incident was under control by 4am.
Plaistow White Watch manager Martin Knight said the occupants were woken up by their smoke alarm.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I dread to think what might have happened at that time of night with not many people up.
“We believe it might have been caused by the tumble dryer. It can be quite common because you get a build-up of fibres.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
“It is still under investigation.”