Tumble dryer suspected as cause of Custom House blaze
A tumble dryer is thought to have caused a fire which tore through a kitchen at a house in Custom House early this morning.
Around 20 firefighters from Plaistow, Silvertown and Poplar tackled the blaze in Butchers Road at about 1.50am.
Everybody inside the house managed to escape unhurt, despite the ferocity of the fire, which took hold on the second floor.
Crews used breathing apparatus to enter the property and put out the flames. The incident was under control by 4am.
Plaistow White Watch manager Martin Knight said the occupants were woken up by their smoke alarm.
He said: “I dread to think what might have happened at that time of night with not many people up.
“We believe it might have been caused by the tumble dryer. It can be quite common because you get a build-up of fibres.
- 1 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 2 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
“It is still under investigation.”