Tube weekend closures to resume as upgrade work begins
Tube upgrade work is to resume from this weekend, following a break during the London 2012 Games.
Closures will be in place across a variety of lines over the coming weekends, although Transport for London (TfL) has said there will be no closures during December.
The work aims to deliver faster and more frequent journeys for passengers, according to TfL, and provide 30 per cent more service across the network.
The programme will include maintenance work on key lines to ensure track, points and tunnel structures remain in the best possible repair.
Brand new signalling will replace the old systems on the Northern, Metropolitan, District and Circle lines.
You may also want to watch:
TfL said at least 80 per cent of stations will remain served and all areas of the capital remain accessible and open for business at all times while work in ongoing.
Key events such as Remembrance Sunday and the weekend of the Lord Mayor’s Show will be protected from closures.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
Mike Brown, managing director of London Underground, said: “In recent years, huge improvements have been made on the Tube – with upgraded trains, stations, signals and track. During the London 2012 Games the network successfully kept London moving and carried more people than at any other time in its 149 year history.
“But to continue to deliver for London, we need to keep going with the programme of improvements that will provide the extra capacity to support the city’s growing population and ensure that equipment is maintained and replaced before it wears out and causes failures and disruption.
“I know that all closures are frustrating, and we are making every effort to keep disruption to a minimum and to provide information and alternative travel options.
“We have reduced the effect of the closures by 10 per cent compared with last year and at least 80 per cent of stations remain served at weekends, and key periods, including the run-up to Christmas, will see no line closures at all. We will also be using every possible way of communicating with our customers to keep them fully informed of the best way to get around.”