Travel advice as Rugby World Cup kicks off
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Commuters could find themselves tackling increased congestion as they head to work over the Rugby World Cup.
Next Wednesday, Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Stadium will host its first game over the six-week tournament, France v Romania.
As well as playing host to five games – to take place on September 23, 24 and October 4, 7 and 30 – fans will also head to Newham’s Fanzone, a hub for celebrating the World Cup.
“London is really getting into the Rugby World Cup spirit now, and the capital will be a fantastic place to be over the tournament,” said Steve Griffiths, LU chief operating officer.
“Clearly, on match days, parts of the transport network will be busier than normal. That’s why we’re advising Londoners to plan ahead so they can get around easily whether or not they are watching the tournament.”
You may also want to watch:
From today until Saturday, October, 31, around one million spectators are expected at the 17 matches across Wembley Stadium, Olympic Park and Twickenham stadiums.
Spectators are encouraged to use the bespoke Rugby World Cup 2015 journey planner and travel information at rugbyworldcup.com/journeyplanner and on the Rugby World Cup 2015 app to plan routes to match venues and Fanzones.
Magenta-clad travel ambassadors will also be helping spectators get around the capital and advise the best routes. Londoners are advised to plan journeys ahead, and where possible avoid travelling at the busiest times – before and after matches.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 5 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 6 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences