Transport for London awards students for Greenway campaign
- Credit: Archant
Students have been given an award by Transport for London for a travel campaign encouraging more people to cycle along the Greenway.
Second year media students at Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc) on Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow, filmed interviews with residents, councillors, and schoolchildren for a documentary about how they use the Greenway - a foot and cycle path that connects Newham, Hackney, and Tower Hamlets to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park - and asked them how it could be developed.
They then showed the short film at local schools and to community groups.
Akhil Kanukuntla, Daria Dykowska, Eriks Mickevics and Gillian Sultan all helped design the programme as part of TfL’s Youth Travel Ambassafor pilot scheme with social action charity Envision.
Darren Garcia, media technician and film club tutor at NewVIc, said: “I’m proud to have witnessed their journey. The way the students have grown in their abilities, taking on this challenge alongside the pressure of their college work, has shown a real courage.
You may also want to watch:
“They saw it through to the end and showed enthusiasm, dedication, and had a fantastic result at the end of it.”
Plashet Girls’ School on Plashet Grove, East Ham were also awarded for their project about some of the safety concerns faced by young people on London transport.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen