Trainee chef kick starts career at Stratford’s Café Football
- Credit: Archant
A trainee chef is on the way to realising her dream of making it big in the restaurant industry.
Newham College student Julia McClarron, 22, works as an apprentice in Stratford’s Café Football as part of her diploma in professional cookery.
The horse-riding enthusiast used to work in a London Bridge restaurant but wanted to gain a formal qualification.
“It’s great because you quickly find out whether you want to be in the industry,” she said. “You’re not just learning theory, you’re working in a real environment. It’s a totally different atmosphere than a classroom. You find out how hard work it can be and about interacting in a team, which is vital in hospitality, plus you’re also earning while you’re learning.”
Launched by former Manchester United teammates Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs last December, Café Football attempts to combine quality food with the beautiful game.
You may also want to watch:
Julia has cooked from five. Born in Germany, she has spent much of her life in Greenwich and now lives with her grandad in Plumbstead.
She draws inspiration from celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal and the café’s creative director, Michael Wignall. “I’m ambitious, so hopefully in 10 years’ time I will be a sous-chef, working under the head chef and running the kitchen,” Julia added. “To me being a chef is more than a job. You should do things properly or don’t bother at all.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
For more about Newham College apprenticeships visit www.newham.ac.uk/apprenticeships.