Trainee chef kick starts career at Stratford’s Café Football
- Credit: Archant
A trainee chef is on the way to realising her dream of making it big in the restaurant industry.
Newham College student Julia McClarron, 22, works as an apprentice in Stratford’s Café Football as part of her diploma in professional cookery.
The horse-riding enthusiast used to work in a London Bridge restaurant but wanted to gain a formal qualification.
“It’s great because you quickly find out whether you want to be in the industry,” she said. “You’re not just learning theory, you’re working in a real environment. It’s a totally different atmosphere than a classroom. You find out how hard work it can be and about interacting in a team, which is vital in hospitality, plus you’re also earning while you’re learning.”
Launched by former Manchester United teammates Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs last December, Café Football attempts to combine quality food with the beautiful game.
You may also want to watch:
Julia has cooked from five. Born in Germany, she has spent much of her life in Greenwich and now lives with her grandad in Plumbstead.
She draws inspiration from celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal and the café’s creative director, Michael Wignall. “I’m ambitious, so hopefully in 10 years’ time I will be a sous-chef, working under the head chef and running the kitchen,” Julia added. “To me being a chef is more than a job. You should do things properly or don’t bother at all.”
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
For more about Newham College apprenticeships visit www.newham.ac.uk/apprenticeships.