Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- Credit: Google
Traffic cameras are being installed at junctions across Newham where drivers frequently ignore no entry and one-way signs.
Following concerns raised by residents and police, a council traffic survey identified 25 hotspot areas where road signs are being ignored more than a hundred times a day on average.
Under the moving traffic contraventions (MTC) programme, drivers ignoring signs at these locations will be caught on camera and posted a fine.
Automatic number plate recognition cameras were recently installed at several junctions, including East Avenue and High Street North in East Ham, Little Ilford Lane and Romford Road in Manor Park and off Vernon Avenue next to Sir John Heron Primary.
Cabinet member for environment, highways and sustainable transport, Councillor James Asser, said: “Improving road safety and reducing the number of accidents is hugely important for everyone.
“An important part of that is ensuring roads signs and road markings are properly followed.
“They are there to ensure the safety of everyone, including other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, and to help the flow of traffic and reduce delays."
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 6 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 7 We need to put the ball in the net says Rice after West Ham defeat at City
- 8 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
“People deliberately ignoring traffic signs and the rules of the road cause a real danger to all other road users, including children, who would not be expecting a vehicle to come from the wrong direction or be taking an illegal turn.”
People who see drivers persistently ignoring road signs in a specific location can report concerns by emailing email@example.com with the subject line ‘Report MTCs’.
Officers will review this feedback to select future enforcement locations.
Visit www.newham.gov.uk/mtcs for a list of enforcement locations.