Traders “delighted” after plans to move Stratford Outdoor Market scrapped
- Credit: Archant
Stratford Outdoor Market stall holders are “delighted” to be staying on the Broadway after plans to move it were scrapped.
Traders locked horns with Newham Council in April last year after a planning application was approved with a proposal to shift the stalls to a new site in The Grove as part of the Stratford public realm works taking place around the Olympic Games.
The market traders complained that the consultation process was “a disgrace” and the move would be bad for business as the number of people frequenting The Grove is far smaller than on the Broadway.
The council said it had “consulted extensively” through regular meetings and the move was postponed from April until October.
A final decision was due this month but it emerged last Thursday that the application has been withdrawn, so the market can remain where it is for the time being.
You may also want to watch:
Dennis Fisher, a spokesmand for the Stratford Outdoor Market Association, said: “The traders are delighted. I’m on my way there now. “They’ve promised me a bottle of brandy to celebrate but we shall see about that.”
A Newham Council spokesperson added: “We are very proud to provide a number of markets across the borough. Market trading is an East End tradition which is important to residents and one we will always support.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 10 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
“We are currently reviewing market provision across Newham and this is why the planning application for Stratford Outdoor Market has been withdrawn.
“A new application will be submitted later this year as part of a strategy to maximise the potential of all our markets and ensure they are successful for both shoppers and stall holders.
“We will fully consult with all street traders who may be directly affected by the proposals. We are committed to providing a good markets service for all Newham stall holders and residents and we will continue to work closely with traders to create vibrant, thriving markets.”