Traders “delighted” after plans to move Stratford Outdoor Market scrapped
- Credit: Archant
Stratford Outdoor Market stall holders are “delighted” to be staying on the Broadway after plans to move it were scrapped.
Traders locked horns with Newham Council in April last year after a planning application was approved with a proposal to shift the stalls to a new site in The Grove as part of the Stratford public realm works taking place around the Olympic Games.
The market traders complained that the consultation process was “a disgrace” and the move would be bad for business as the number of people frequenting The Grove is far smaller than on the Broadway.
The council said it had “consulted extensively” through regular meetings and the move was postponed from April until October.
A final decision was due this month but it emerged last Thursday that the application has been withdrawn, so the market can remain where it is for the time being.
Dennis Fisher, a spokesmand for the Stratford Outdoor Market Association, said: “The traders are delighted. I’m on my way there now. “They’ve promised me a bottle of brandy to celebrate but we shall see about that.”
A Newham Council spokesperson added: “We are very proud to provide a number of markets across the borough. Market trading is an East End tradition which is important to residents and one we will always support.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
“We are currently reviewing market provision across Newham and this is why the planning application for Stratford Outdoor Market has been withdrawn.
“A new application will be submitted later this year as part of a strategy to maximise the potential of all our markets and ensure they are successful for both shoppers and stall holders.
“We will fully consult with all street traders who may be directly affected by the proposals. We are committed to providing a good markets service for all Newham stall holders and residents and we will continue to work closely with traders to create vibrant, thriving markets.”