Toy Appeal: Newham Bookshop’s gift of a good book
- Credit: Archant
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without a good story to settle down with.
From Charles Dickens’ celebrated classic A Christmas Carol to children’s favourite The Snowman, books have helped form our idea of the festive season.
Making sure the borough’s deprived youngsters don’t miss out on this worthy tradition is Newham Bookshop who have donated about 50 books on behalf of generous publishers to the Recorder’s Christmas Toy Appeal.
Store manager Vivian Archer said: “We’ve been helping out with the appeal since its inception. We are all local residents who think that everybody should be able to receive something at Christmas.
“It’s very important that we are part of that and that we are able to donate what we can.”
You may also want to watch:
Visit newhambooks.co.uk and consider donating books to our cause this Christmas.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley