Toy Appeal: Generosity matters for shoebox collectors
- Credit: Jackie South
Supporters of What You Do Matters have helped the organisation smash their Toy Appeal target by collecting 339 shoeboxes full of gifts.
Setting an initial target of 200 boxes, the group, which aims to get people involved in supporting good causes, were inundated with generosity from across the borough and beyond.
Founder Jacqueline Fernandez said: “We are so pleased to make a difference this Christmas.
“This is exactly why I created What You Do Matters as a platform for people to get involved with charity organisations.
“As a Newham resident myself, I am honoured to have helped an local amazing charity, Community Links.”
What You Do Matters was set up in 2012 and the Toy Appeal collection is the team’s sixth charity .
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network