Toy Appeal: Football fans organise bucket collection
- Credit: Paul Cockerton
Football fans have dug deep to raise £338 for the Toy Appeal.
The Clapton Ultras, a supporters group for non-league side Clapton FC, arranged a bucket collection at the Forest Gate-based side’s clash against Waltham Forest on Saturday.
And with just under 200 fans coming through the gates, the generosity was there for all to see.
A spokesman for the Ultras said: “With over a quarter of local children officially growing up in poverty, we desperately wanted to help Newham Recorder and Community Links put a smile on a few more children’s faces this Christmas.
“We’re passionate about our football team but we also love our local area and regularly hold food bank collections.”
Even the players and assistant manager got involved, walking around with buckets at half time instead of heading to the dressing room – something which didn’t seem to hurt the team as they came away 4-1 winners.
- 1 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 2 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 3 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 4 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 Collision causes traffic delays at Canning Town flyover
- 7 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
- 8 Stratford overtakes Waterloo as busiest station in Britain
- 9 Drug dealer has to pay back £155 - after criminal behaviour netted £8,405
- 10 Chance of snow in London this weekend