Tour de France comes to Newham for the first time
- Credit: Archant
The largest annual sporting event, the Tour de France, is on its way to Newham.
Featuring more than 200 riders, 2,000 vehicles and up to 5,000 officials the race will arrive in the borough on Monday July 7 as part of a three-day visit to Britain.
The borough’s residents can expect disruption as Transport for London has asked for road blocks at major junctions along the route as well as diversions and restrictions on parking. The measures could be in place from 10am for up to eight hours during the day. They are designed to ensure the event passes off safely for riders, spectators and residents.
Millions of people are expected to watch the race which is being staged through Newham for the first time and is brought to the capital by The Mayor of London, Transport for London (TfL) and London and Partners.
It will cover more than ten miles around the borough, entering from Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, making its way along Warton Road before turning right into Stratford High Street.
You may also want to watch:
The riders will then make their way along West Ham Lane, past Plaistow Station and on to Greengate Street before crossing the Barking Road into Prince Regent Lane and then through Tollgate and Stansfeld roads. The tour will then cross the Connaught Bridge and riders will leave the borough along Silvertown Way.
A spoksewoman for the council said the authority wants to ensure that residents and businesses can enjoy the event and are able to get around the borough with as little disruption as possible. The council is working to ensure that diversions and road closures are in place for the shortest time possible.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
More information from TfL about arrangements on the day will be posted on at Newham.gov.uk/tourdefrance.