The Olympic Park has welcomed its 100,000th visitor.
STRATFORD’S Olympic Park welcomed its 100,000th visitor as part of Open House weekend.
The VIP was Siobhan McDermott from Hackney, who said: “It was spectacular to get up close to the venues that we’ve seen develop over the last four years.
“It was particularly special to stand at the end of the 100m straight in the Olympic Stadium with John Regis. I’m looking forward to coming back in 2012.”
It was the fourth year running the Park was opened to the public with more than 4,000 people joining bus tours around the site on Saturday to see the progress being made in the ‘big build’ of the venues including the Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Velodrome, and Olympic Village.
Visitors chatted to Olympians John Regis, Tessa Sanderson and Mark Foster as well as key figures involved in the design, construction and legacy of the Olympic Park and the running of the Games themselves.
You may also want to watch:
Alongside Open House the Olympic Delivery Authority runs regular daily, evening and weekend tours of the Olympic Park for local people, schools, Host Boroughs and a huge range of organisations.
London 2012 Organising Committee Chair Seb Coe: “Watching the Olympic Park coming out of the ground over the last few years and transforming the east London skyline has been inspiring. It has been vital to ensure that the local community have been able to see the progress being made and I’m delighted that so many people have visited.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss