Thames cable car comes step closer
Plans have been submitted for a Thames crossing cable car.
A PLANNING application for a �25 million Thames cable car has been submitted to Newham Council.
The proposals for the 50-metre high, 1,100-metre long crossing from the ExCeL centre in the Royal Docks to the O2 Arena, North Greenwich, were put forward by Transport for London following public consultation.
Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of London’s Transport Adviser, said: “Transport for London’s consultation has shown more than 80 per cent of respondents in favour of the Mayor’s vision to have a privately-funded cable car, helping to cut journey times for people travelling around East London.’’
Mr Ranger added: “A cable car would be a unique addition to the capital’s transport network, providing spectacular views of London’s iconic skyline whilst providing a much needed boost to river crossings in the east of the city.”
With a journey time of five minutes, the car will be able to carry up to 2,500 people an hour in each direction.
Tranport for London hope to launch the crossing ahead of the 2012 London Olympics.
- 1 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 2 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 3 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 4 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 5 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 6 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 Newham pupils 'celebrate community' by designing large playground mural
The proposals include a main north tower at Clyde Wharf, north-west of Bell Lane, and an intermediate north tower, south-west of Dock Road, both North Woolwich, to support the gondola cable.
A two-storey station in the Royal Docks will include a ticket office, retail space and an arrival and departure platform.